DVLA Swansea Contact Number – 0844 453 0118


You can call the DVLA contact number on 0844 453 0118. This number will connect you to the central Swansea head office, where DVLA controls all of its major operations including vehicle tax, driving licences, vehicle registrations and the administration of driving tests.

Department Contact Number Opening Hours
DVLA Swansea Head Office  0844 453 0118 8am-6pm
Taxing Your Vehicle  0843 557 4965 8am-6pm
Making a SORN   0844 826 8338 8am-6pm
Applying for a driving licence  0844 826 8352 8am-6pm
Changing Your Address  0844 826 8333 8am-6pm
MOTs  0844 248 2088 8am-6pm
Vehicle Registrations, Number Plates and Log Books  0844 248 2089 8am-6pm
Buying and Selling a Vehicle  0844 248 2091 8am-6pm
Theory Tests and Driving Tests  0844 248 2125 8am-6pm
Health and Medical Conditions  0844 248 2126 8am-6pm

DVLA Swansea Head Office – 0844 453 0118

The address of the DVLA Swansea head office is:


Long View Rd,




The DVLA used to have offices around the country which dealt with driver enquiries. However, these offices closed a few years ago and the service was centralised to a 16 storey building in Swansea. For that reason, if you ever need to send something in the post to the DVLA, that is the address that you will need to use.

Taxing Your Vehicle – 0843 557 4965

You have to tax your vehicle before you can use it on the road. There are a number of simple ways to do this – you can use a reminder letter from the DVLA, your log book or the green new keeper details slip if you have just purchased the vehicle. You can tax your car online using this information. Alternatively, you can tax your vehicle by calling the number above. Lastly, you can tax your vehicle by visiting your local Post Office. You need to use your log book or new keeper detail’s slip to tax your vehicle at the Post Office.

Making a SORN –   0844 826 8338

If you’re not using a vehicle on the road, you can make a SORN (statutory off road notification) to the DVLA. This tells the DVLA that your vehicle is off the road (for instance, being kept in a garage) and you will receive a refund for any full months of tax that you have remaining. It’s important to remember that you can’t drive the vehicle on the road until it has been taxed again. You can declare a SORN online using the 15 digit number on your log book, or by calling the phone number above.

Applying for a Driving Licence – 0844 826 8352 dvla-provisional-licence

To drive a car, motorbike or moped in the UK, you need a driving licence. Whilst you are learning to drive, you’ll be using a provisional licence. To apply, you must be 15 years and 9 months old, but you can’t begin learning to drive until you are 17, or 16 if you have a disability and are a recipient of the mobility aspect of the Personal Independence Payment scheme.   It costs £34 for a provisional licence and you can apply online, or over the phone by calling the number above.

Changing Your Address – 0844 826 8333

It’s your responsibility to tell the DVLA when your address changes, so that your licence, log book and tax can be kept up to date. If you don’t inform the DVLA of an address change, you could be fined up to £1,000. A change of address includes a temporary change, such as moving to university. It’s free of charge to change your address and you can do it online or by calling the number on this page.

MOTs – 0844 248 2088

You can use the DVLA website to check a vehicle’s MOT status and replace a lost MOT certificate. You can also get more information about a MOT from the DVLA such as gathering information on which car parts are tested. Remember, it’s illegal to drive a vehicle without a valid MOT.

Vehicle Registrations, Number Plates and Log Books – 0844 248 2089

Each vehicle comes with a log book to show that the car is registered and who it belongs to. If you’ve bought a car and it didn’t come with a log book, you can contact the DVLA to get a replacement. If you don’t have the green new keeper details slip, you have to pay £25 to get a new log book. Every car has a number plate which shows your vehicle’s registration. You will be fined up to £1000 if your number plates are incorrectly displayed. For more about the rules surrounding number plates, call the number above.

Buying and Selling a Vehicle –  0844 248 2091

You have to tell the DVLA when you’ve sold or bought a vehicle. When you buy a vehicle, the remaining tax left on it is no longer automatically passed on to you, so you’ll need to buy new tax before you can drive the vehicle. You can tell the DVLA that you’ve bought or sold a vehicle online, or by calling the telephone number above. The online service is available from 7am-7pm.

Theory Test and Driving Tests –  0844 248 2125

In order to drive, you’ll need to pass two tests: a theory test and a practical test. The theory test comes first and is taken in a test centre, made up of two parts. The first part is multiple choice, and the second part is hazard perception, where you will be shown videos of potential hazards and asked to identify them. Once you have passed the theory test, you can take the practical test. This is due to change soon, but the current format is a 40 minute test, with 30 minutes of following instructions and performing a manoeuvre (turn in the road, reverse around a corner, parallel park or reverse into a bay) followed by ten minutes of independent driving, where you follow road signs or a diagram. You will also be asked two vehicle safety questions at the start of the test. Once you pass this test, you can drive on your own!

Health and Medical Conditions –  0844 248 2126

The DVLA has a number of medical conditions that they ask to be informed about, as the condition may affect your driving. This includes sleep conditions, heart problems, brain disorders, strokes, visual impairments and physical disabilities. The conditions are classed as notifiable and you may need to give your licence to the DVLA if your doctor has told you to stop driving for three months or more. If you’re not sure whether your medical condition is classed as notifiable, call the number above to speak to the DVLA about your condition.